How to download SAP structure data with Winshuttle Query
Let me start off by saying that structures in and of themselves do not contain data. By definition, a structure is a skeleton of a table which “forms the basic framework of the axes in a table (rows or columns)”. That still doesn't change the fact that many of us every day SAP users still need to download the data we see in a transaction code regardless of where it is stored on the backend or how it is derived.
Technical users know how to backtrack from the data element, run a trace or read and write code to find the formula or transparent table containing the data. The rest of us folks aren’t blessed with the knowledge or the access to the tools to access that data albeit we are the ones who own it, use it, and need it!
But don’t despair just yet because there is hope. Winshuttle Studio users can rejoice, because with a combination of Query and Transaction scripts they can get to any data their heart or business unit desires in a secure and timely fashion. Yes, even SAP structure data can be downloaded without programming or ABAP.
Let us break down the tasks and tools we need to take to achieve our objective:
- Define the business requirements for the report:
- Define output fields and selection criteria
- Setup your Query script: Download all of the fields from SAP except the ones that are in a structure.
- Create a Query using the recording feature by allowing Query to identify the tables associated with the fields in the SAP transaction code or if you are familiar with the tables add them directly and select the fields
- Run in Preview mode to ensure you are receiving the desired results
- Map your script to Excel
- Publish the script to the Excel Template
- Setup your Transaction Script: Use the output from step 2 as input for your Transaction Script
- Record Transaction Script (it has to be a display or change transaction)
- Map script and ensure that the fields to download is mapped to “Read from SAP”
- Run on a few records to test
- Publish to same Excel Template
- Run, Schedule or Share the Excel Template with the rest of the organization
To summarize, a Query script downloads the majority of our data with the exception of field values coming from a structure. We then use the values we just downloaded to go into the Transaction code and download the missing structure field values directly from the screen. Et Voila!
Do you think you will be interested in a new solution that even automates these two steps and links both scripts automatically? If so, speak up and let me know.
My next post will cover the top 10 ways to optimize your SAP report performance with Winshuttle Query.
I'd also love to hear from you so please comment or suggest my next blog topic.
- Abhishek Jain (1)
- Abid Mohammed (1)
- Chad Bates (10)
- Clinton Jones (47)
- Jim OFarrell (19)
- Kathy Potosnak (3)
- Kristian Kalsing (21)
- Lewis Carpenter (1)
- Marc Rouhana (5)
- Margaret Ziviski (3)
- Matthew Moore (7)
- Mervyn George (13)
- Rajive Varma (1)
- Ritika Taondwal (1)
- Scot Madill (10)
- Vikram Chalana (10)
- Vishal Chalana (4)